I’ve been using my American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card for 18months now and it opened a whole new door on credit cards for me. Previously, I used credit cards for buying an irregular purchase such as replacement fridge, flights etc. However, now we do all our food, petrol and online purchases on credit card. In a year and a half, this has earned us £160 so far in cash back… Which for spending we were doing anyways, is a nice perk.
Note, we pay the balance off in full at the end of every month with no exceptions.
What attracted me to this card was;
- No annual fee
- Up to 5% cashback on all purchases
- No limits on where you can shop
- Great app and online services
- Deals for extra cashback at certain retailers
- Cashback as a statement credit or take the credit +5% at certain reatailers
- Not accepted everywhere (not at Lidl for example)- can be a pain
- Deals for cashback are very often for premium products and the more useful ones are for companies who don’t have stores in Northern Ireland.
- Transactions are slow to process, often making me think I had spent less that month than I had.
The online services really are the best I’ve seen of any financial provider, and I’ve jumped around a fair bit lately to find a good current account. You can get a breakdown of your spending by retailer and spending type which has proved to be a useful visual at times. Last year we took our cashback in a statement credit, but this year, we’re taking it in retailer credit as it’ll get us 5% extra at Boots, where we’ll be picking up loads of gifts anyways.
All in all, I really do love this card, however I’m tentatively in the market for something new as I’m getting ever peeved at having the card turned away.